Victoria, the capital of British Columbia, sits on the southern end of Vancouver Island. Typically known as the “Garden City,” this coastal island’s nickname should be changed to “Romance City”. For the sixth consecutive year, Victoria has been named Canada’s Most Romantic City, as announced today by Amazon Canada. The ninth annual ranking was compiled by comparing sales data from January 1, 2017 to January 1, 2018 on a per capita basis in cities with more than 20,000 residents. The data looks at sales of romance novels (both print and Kindle editions), romantic comedies, relationship books, jewellery and sexual wellness products.
This year, the Top 20 Most Romantic Cities in Canada are:
- Victoria, British Columbia
- Abbotsford, British Columbia
- Whitehorse, Yukon (new)
- Courtenay, British Columbia (new)
- Fort McMurray, Alberta (new)
- Spruce Grove, Alberta (new)
- North Vancouver, British Columbia
- Sherwood Park, Alberta (new)
- Surrey, British Columbia (new)
- Nanaimo, British Columbia
- Lasalle, Quebec (new)
- Waterloo, Ontario
- Prince George, British Columbia
- La Prairie, Quebec (new)
- Grande Prairie, Alberta
- Airdrie, Alberta (new)
- Welland, Ontario (new)
- Vernon, British Columbia (new)
- North Bay, Ontario
- Dartmouth, Nova Scotia (new)
A closer look at the data revealed:
- Goddess of Love: In addition to taking the top spot, Victoria also earns bragging rights for being number one in the categories of relationship books, romance books and romantic comedies.
- The New Romantics: There are some new cities on this year’s list, twelve to be exact, vying for that number one spot. First time romantic cities hail from Alberta, British Columbia, Yukon, Quebec, Ontario and Nova Scotia.
- Big Hearts in the West: The west was surely stung by cupid’s arrow with nine of the top ten cities being from the two most western provinces.
- Whitehorse Charges into the Top Three: For the first time ever, a Canadian territory not only makes the list, but takes the number three spot.
- Canada’s Love Interests: 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts by Gary Chapman, Pretty Woman starring Richard Gere and Julia Roberts, and Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love by Sue Johnson were among the bestsellers in the relationship books, romance books, and romantic movies categories.
- Beyond the Top 20: Five provinces didn’t get a rose this time around and had no cities place in the top 20, but we still wanted to honour the cities that placed first in each of these five areas: Brandon, Manitoba, Fredericton, New Brunswick, St. John’s, Newfoundland, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, and Prince Albert, Saskatchewan.
To browse the Amazon.ca selection of deals and gift ideas for Valentine’s Day – and help contribute to future romantic city rankings – visit www.amazon.ca/valentinesday.
Amazon is guided by four principles: customer obsession rather than competitor focus, passion for invention, commitment to operational excellence, and long-term thinking. Customer reviews, 1-Click shopping, personalized recommendations, Prime, Fulfillment by Amazon, AWS, Kindle Direct Publishing, Kindle, Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Alexa are some of the products and services pioneered by Amazon. For more information, visit www.amazon.com/about and follow @AmazonNews.
SOURCE Amazon Canada