Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) published on December 5, 2017 its annual Top 10 Most Frequently Stolen Vehicles list. High-end luxury SUVs are the most commonly stolen vehicles in Ontario.
This year’s 10 most frequently stolen vehicles in IBC’s Ontario region are:
- 2016 Toyota 4Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
- 2015 Toyota 4Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
- 2006 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD and GMC Yukon 4WD SUVs
- 2003 Chevrolet Avalanche 1500 2WD Pick-Up
- 2005 Chevrolet Tahoe 4WD and GMC Yukon 4WD SUVs
- 2006 Chevrolet Silverado 2500 4WD and GMC Sierra 2500 4WD SUVs
- 2003 Hummer H2 4-door 4WD SUV
- 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe 4-door 4WD and GMC Yukon 4-door 4WD SUVs
- 2014 Toyota 4-Runner 4-door 4WD SUV
- 2005 Buick Rainier 4-door 2WD, Chevrolet Trailblazer 4-door 2WD and GMC Envoy SUVs
Quoting Statistics Canada as the IBC source, Donaldson noted that Guelph, Ontario reported the largest auto theft activity increase in Canada at 49%. Windsor reported a 14% increase and St. Catharines experienced a 5% increase. Of Ontario’s two largest cities, Toronto reported a 4% increase while Ottawa experienced a 1% decline. Theft was also down 17% in Sudbury, 12% in Barrie and London, 9% in Kingston, and 1% in Peterborough and Hamilton. In Ontario, the rate of recovery for stolen vehicles increased to 60%, up 2 per cent from last year.