You don’t have to be Irish to enjoy St Patrick’s Day, and you don’t need to book a flight to Ireland either. There are plenty of North American cities within easy reach that celebrate St. Paddy’s Day, and, with March 17 falling on a Friday (and during March Break week for many Canadians), there’s no better time to go for the green. Whether you like a non-stop pub crawl, parades with floats, marching bands and step dancing, or wacky local customs – like the greening of fountains and rivers –this year’s Friday St. Patrick’s Day gives you a great opportunity to get in the fun of a destination celebration. To help you get your plans off the ground, the travel experts at Cheapflights.ca, the champions of simple travel search, have compared the fares and found 17 Affordable Last-Minute St. Patrick’s Day Getaways for Canadians with a line-up of green-clad fun from Montreal to Miami and Victoria to Halifax.
Below are details on just a few of the budget-friendly spots found with plenty of St. Patrick’s Day fun on tap, along with the average round-trip airfare for flights departing March 15-17:
- Boston, Massachusetts, U.S. – $338 (CAD) – Whether you make Boston your sole stop for St. Paddy’s Day weekend or combine it with a side trip to nearby Providence, R.I., the main event is the St. Patrick’s Day Parade in South Boston on Sunday, March 19. Weekend celebrations also include American Celtic punk band Dropkick Murphys’ concert at the House of Blues on March 16 and walking Boston’s Irish Heritage Trail.
- Kelowna, British Columbia – $453 (CAD) – St. Patrick’s Day is the perfect holiday to hop on Kelowna’s craft beer scene. Swig adventurous flavour profiles at Kettle River Brewing, raise a glass of IPA at BNA Brewing Co., sample German-style lagers with the city’s new kid on the block Boundary Brewing, knock back Lebowski Lager from Freddy’s Brew Pub and salute the godfather of Kelowna’s craft scene, Tree Brewing Co. at their Tree Brewing Beer Institute. Don green garb and head downtown to partake in festive parties at Carlos O’Bryan’s, O’Flannigans, Fernando’s Pub and Doc Willoughby’s Public House.
- Indianapolis, Indiana, U.S. – $488 (CAD) – Indianapolis, Ind., is so festive even the Central Canal is dyed green. But choosing just one event will be a challenge. Celebrate all things Irish in Indy starting with the fifth annual Blarney Bash at 11:00 a.m. on March 17. The massive block party features live music, tasty treats and drink vendors lining the boardwalk. Or head over to the St. Patrick’s Day Parade at 11:30 a.m. There’s a block party there, as well, with entertainment, food and a beer garden from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. More live music, Irish food and fun waits at the 20th annual Indianapolis Downtown Irish Fest beginning at noon on March 17. Cap off the celebration at the sixth annual St. Pats Bar Crawl on March 18.
- Halifax, Nova Scotia – $498 (CAD) – To get your St. Patrick’s Day foodie fix in Halifax, join the best craic in town and indulge in Irish breakfast all day at Durty Nelly’s. On the 17th, enjoy dinner and performances by the Nova Scotia Irish Dancers and traditional music at the Festival of St. Patrick Dinner and dance the night away at the Saint Paddy’s Dance in Dartmouth. Drink for a cause at the St. Patrick’s Day Pub Party at Jenny’s Place, which supports the Northern Lights Lantern Festival.
- Fort Myers, Florida, U.S. – $538 (CAD) – Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day with a laid-back beach vibe in Fort Myers, Fla. The annual downtown block party on Friday, March 17, offers music, food and drink from 4-10 p.m. Fitzgerald’s Irish Pub hosts one of the area’s most popular parties on Friday, March 17, with bagpipers, Irish dancers, corned beef and cabbage and plenty o’ beer. Prep for all this eating and drinking with Gold Coast Runners St. Patrick’s Day 5K Fun Run on Thursday, March 16. See if you can win the Who’s the Greenest contest by wearing the most green gear and dance to live Irish music post-race.
From 5K beer runs to film festivals and fancy balls, there’s no shortage of St. Patrick’s Day events that are worth the journey. To see our full list of picks for fun-filled St. Paddy’s destinations that won’t bust your travel budget, check out Cheapflights.ca’s 17 Affordable Last-Minute St. Patrick‘s Day Getaways for Canadians at www.cheapflights.ca/news/affordable-last-minute-st-patricks-day-getaways.
About Cheapflights.ca, part of the Momondo Group
Founded in 1996, Cheapflights is a leading global flight comparison and deals publishing platform dedicated to taking the complexity out of finding the best value flights through the application of innovative, intuitive technologies: Smart search. Made simple. It is now a market leader in the UK, US, Canada, South Africa, Australia and New Zealand generating more than C$4 billion in global downstream revenue for its partners as it expands into numerous other territories. More than 120 million users visit its websites and apps each year, receiving more than two billion search results a month from across 900,000 routes. The 10 million strong opt-in subscribers to the Cheapflights newsletter receive the best deals from more than 120 travel businesses – for whom it has driven more than C$80 million in revenue this year. Together, the Cheapflights platforms generate enough bookings for its partners to fill a Boeing 747 every five minutes.
In 2011, Cheapflights became part of the privately owned online travel search and inspiration network, Momondo Group.