Uniban Canada and Desjardins Insurance renew 12-year technological agreement

Uniban Canada

Uniban Canada is pleased to announce the renewal of a substantial 12-year agreement with Desjardins Insurance for the use of the Conversense portal, Uniban’s automotive glass claims management system.

Desjardins Insurance’s proven expertise, combined with Uniban’s know-how and their Conversense platform, reduce customers’ wait time and simplify the claims process, transforming an often-difficult claim experience into a positive one. The true winners of this agreement are the policyholders.

“It is an honor to sign an agreement of this duration and magnitude with Desjardins Insurance. We are delighted by the strength of this partnership as it is a testament to the confidence established between our two companies over the years. At the heart of a rapidly changing industry, this collaboration allows us to better continue the transformation of the client experience in favour of greater autonomy and a more engaging technological environment,” said Marc Desmarais, President and CEO of Uniban Canada.

About Uniban Canada

Uniban Canada is distinguished by its unique business model that has earned several distinctions in recent years (innovation, communication / marketing and franchisor of the year). Uniban encourages sustainable development through various programs and is now the leader and standard for major insurance companies in the management of automotive glass claims.

For more information, visit www.unibancanada.ca.

SOURCE Uniban Canada

Fairfax Financial Holdings acquires some Carillion Canada assets

Fairfax Financial Holdings Ltd. has signed a deal to buy part of Carillion Canada, which filed for court protection from creditors last month.

Financial terms of the deal were not immediately available.

Under the transaction, Fairfax said Monday it will acquire Carillion Canada’s facilities management business that provides services to airports, commercial and retail properties, defence facilities, health care facilities and oil, gas and mining clients.

“The services business of Carillion Canada has an excellent long-term track record and we look forward to working with this team in growing their business over the long-term,” Fairfax chairman and chief executive Prem Watsa said in a statement.

The deal will see more than 4,500 Carillion Canada employees move to Fairfax.

“This transaction will provide certainty and stability for the clients we work for and the customers we serve, and a strong platform for the continued growth of the business,” said Simon Buttery, Carillion Canada’s president and chief executive.

Carillion Canada was forced to seek protection under the Companies’ Creditors Arrangement Act after its parent company, British construction giant and state contractor Carillion PLC, entered compulsory liquidation.

The transaction is subject to customary closing conditions, including approval by the Ontario Superior Court overseeing Carillion Canada’s operations.

Carillion Canada has said it would use the court protection to stabilize operations and consider options to satisfy creditors and the court.

The protection order covers Carillion Construction Inc., Carillion Canada Inc., Carillion Canada Holdings Inc. and Carillion Canada Finance Corp.

The company employs more than 6,000 people in Canada.

According to its website, its operations include facilities management and maintenance, as well as handling road maintenance for 40,000 kilometres of highway in Alberta and Ontario.

It is also involved in private public construction partnerships, one of which is currently building a new mental health hospital in North Battleford, Sask.

Montreal mom dead, boy critical after being struck by car driven by 90 year old

An accident that claimed the life of a Montreal woman and left her young son in critical condition is highlighting the issue of aging seniors behind the wheel.

Montreal police said the Sunday, February 4, 2018 incident, which involved a 90-year-old driver, occurred in a shopping centre in Montreal’s Saint-Laurent borough.

A mother, 44 was walking in a parking lot with her five-year-old son when they were struck by a car.

Police spokeswoman Caroline Chevrefils said the driver has already been questioned about the tragic accident.

“He was met by investigators on the scene of the accident and he was a little bit confused and a little bit in a state of shock,” she said Monday.

The woman was rushed to hospital where she died of her injuries.

The young boy’s father was at his side at the hospital on Monday.

A person who is close to the family said the family was seeking privacy.

He described the father as a popular Montreal-born Lebanese singer who is “well-loved”, adding that he also has a daughter.

“It’s been a difficult time and he doesn’t want to release any information,” said the man, who also did want to be identified.

He runs a towing company and said one of his drivers was the first to arrive on the scene, helping authorities lift the vehicle to get access to the victims who were pinned underneath.

Statistics complied by Quebec’s automobile insurance bureau (SAAQ) suggest an overall increase in the number of older drivers over a five-year period thanks to an aging population.

The number of drivers holding a valid permit aged 90 and older has almost doubled _ from 4,405 in 2011, to 8,434 in 2016.

For drivers 85 and over, the numbers also jumped from just over 31,000 in 2011 to 49,000 in 2016.

Gino Desrosiers, a SAAQ spokesman, adds that each year, between four and five thousand people over the age of 75 decide by themselves to stop driving “because they don’t feel they can do it safely.”

There were over 5.3 million Quebecers with a valid driver’s permit in 2016.

Desrosiers stresses that older drivers are required to undergo exams when they go to get their personal driver’s permit renewed for five years.

“At the age of 75 drivers undergo a regular visual exam and a medical exam by their doctor,” he said. “Then at 80, (it’s) every two years and that’s submitted to our medical team to be analyzed to see if the person has the physical and cognitive competence to drive a vehicle.”

Conditions may also be imposed, like no night driving, and the driver might also be obliged to wear glasses, he said.

New poll: Ontario drivers fed up with antiquated rules requiring them to carry paper form “pink slip”

Source: IBC

Under Ontario law, every driver must carry their proof of auto insurance “pink slip”, which is valid only in paper format. Nova Scotia recently announced that it would become the first Canadian province to allow drivers to carry digital proof of insurance. Currently, 46 U.S. states allow for digital proof of auto insurance.

IBC’s January 2018 poll was conducted by the market research firm Leger. The results show that:

  • 74% of Ontarians want the option of receiving their insurance documents (proof of insurance card, insurance renewals) electronically;
  • 78% of Ontarians feel that receiving their insurance documents electronically would be convenient;
  • 88% of Ontarians receive at least one bill electronically (e.g. phone bill, bank statement), and;
  • 79% of Ontarians believe that insurance information available online is as safe as paper-based communications.

“Ontario drivers are very supportive of digital documents,” said Kim Donaldson, Vice-President, Ontario, IBC.  “We use our mobile devices to get on airplanes and buy our coffees. Why can’t we use them to display our proof of insurance?”

The survey results were featured in a report by IBC entitled An Innovation Agenda for Ontario’s Insurance Industry. The report outlines a variety of steps the provincial government can take to make auto insurance more convenient for more Ontario drivers.

“The speed of technological change has outstripped the pace of policy and regulatory change,” added Donaldson. “Ontario’s property and casualty insurers are looking for the provincial government’s commitment to modernize insurance laws to put customers’ needs first and meet their evolving online financial needs.”

B.C.’s auto insurer in ‘financial dumpster fire,’ major reforms needed: minister

By Laura Kane

THE CANADIAN PRESS

VANCOUVER _ Major reforms are on the way to extinguish a ‘financial dumpster fire” at British Columbia’s public auto insurer, which projects a $1.3-billion net loss this fiscal year, the province’s attorney general said Monday.

David Eby blamed the crisis at the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia on years of “reckless decisions” by the previous Liberal government, including taking more than $1 billion from the insurer and transferring it to government coffers.

He also said the government ignored warnings and recommendations made in a 2014 report by independent consultants Ernst & Young, and appears to have scrubbed the recommendations from a version of the report presented to the public.

“They knew the dumpster was on fire, but they pushed it behind the building instead of trying to put the fire out,” he said at a news conference, adding that before last spring’s election, the Liberals projected ICBC’s losses to be $11 million.

“British Columbians were not told the truth about the state of ICBC. They were told the problem was not serious _ a loss of about 100 times less than was actually the case. Now British Columbians are facing the full consequences of the previous government’s decision to bury the truth.”

The insurance corporation has already posted a net loss of $935 million for the first nine months of the 2017-18 fiscal year. It said the “sizable and significant loss” is due to a rapid increase in the number of collisions in the province, as well as the rising costs of those claims.

Eby, who is also minister responsible for the insurance corporation, said it’s yet to be determined how rates for drivers will be affected, but he intends to keep them affordable, with high-risk drivers paying more while low-risk drivers pay less.

He said the government will announce measures to address the crisis in the coming weeks. He said it was seriously looking at a number of different initiatives, including caps on financial awards for minor injuries, changes to deductibles and other reforms aimed at lowering legal and auto body costs.

The government is not considering no-fault insurance, he said, as it wants to protect the right to sue and recover damages from the court system.

Eby did not provide a copy of the draft Ernst & Young report he accused the Liberals of redacting. But former finance minister Mike de Jong told The Province newspaper that the government removed at least one of the recommendations, around minor-injury caps, because it wasn’t prepared to consider it.

Liberal legislator John Yap said the threat posed by rising claims and payouts is well-known and the previous government took steps to deal with the issue. As well, a third-party review of ICBC was ordered by the B.C. Liberals and delivered on July 10, so it was waiting on the desk of the new minister, he said.

“Instead of taking the immediate actions the report called for, David Eby has done nothing for seven months except order another review,” said Yap.

“It is clear the B.C. NDP made promises they can’t deliver on and so are looking to lay blame instead of accepting responsibility for that. David Eby has a blueprint for moving forward at ICBC but keeps delaying any action and is allowing the problem to grow even worse under his watch.”

Eby said the situation at ICBC would have “implications” for the provincial budget, but he referred questions to Finance Minister Carole James, who did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Asked whether he would rule out privatizing the public insurance corporation, he said ICBC provides many important services to the public, including driver licensing, and Ontario’s privatized regime has not delivered lower costs to ratepayers.

“It’s not simply a matter of who owns the insurer. It’s a matter of management. It’s our intention to get management under control at ICBC.”

Here is a look at three notable decisions in Canada and other commonwealth countries.

Read more

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

Join our mailing list to receive the latest news and updates from ILSTV

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Pin It on Pinterest